Wednesday, August 22, 2012

L is for Lion

With each letter unit I am doing with Peter we are focusing on one sight word.  Some of them logically go with the unit (he with the H unit), but others were chosen because they are easy and ubiquitous.  This unit he is learning the word see.  We started a word caterpillar in the hallway to showcase his sight words and give him ample opportunities to see and review them.



We love the Target $1 bins.  The other day we were there and they had artist palettes and we decided to buy a couple.  The palette holds a whole rainbow of colors and Peter loved mixing the colors in the middle just like a real artist.  He started with L is for lion, but by the end, his creation was more M is for mud.



Last week I had a time saving epiphany.  It seemed like every blog and message board was talking about back to school and packing lunches.  I suddenly realized that if I were to "pack" lunches for the boys either at night or first thing in the morning, that it would greatly simplify the learning time to lunch transition.  It is working out GREAT!!  After dinner I sometimes pack leftovers directly into their lunch boxes for the following day.  And then, in the morning I already have a knife and cutting board out to cut up an apple for my oatmeal and a piece of fruit for the boys' breakfast - it only takes an extra minute to cut up a few things for their lunches at the same time.




After learning time and lunch Peter went outside to bounce in the fresh air.  Elliot and I watched from upstairs.





             

2 comments: