Thursday, August 1, 2013

Dinosaur Sensory Tub

I'm getting ready for the big boys to return by putting together a new dinosaur sensory tub.







The base is beans of all kinds.  It is mostly pinto beans, but I also stirred in some 12 bean soup mix to add variety and some coffee beans so it stimulates the sense of smell.

I bought the dinosaur skeletons and skulls online, the bones came from a chicken and the shells from the beach.  I made the "fossil imprints" by pressing dino objects into salt dough and baking them until hard.



To add another element to the activity, I glued samples of various types of beans into an egg carton so the boys can try their sorting and classifying skills.




Lastly, I took pictures of each skeleton, skull, bone and shell and made identification sheets.  I arranged them alphabetically along with images of the dinosaurs.  To help Peter figure out their names I color coded the words by syllable.  He gets overwhelmed reading longer words, but can easily tackle 3 and 4 letter syllables if he can see how the word needs to be broken apart.  This will also be a good chance for us to discuss some of the more unusual phonetic rules like the "ch" and "ph" in Pachycephalosaurus.



No comments:

Post a Comment